If you are looking for a creative way to make your own festive decorations then why not try these paper stars? It couldn’t be easier to turn your old paper bags into a unique way to decorate for Christmas. All you need to create these perfectly symmetrical stars is 6 paper bags per star, scissors and glue. You can use bags of any size, they just need to have a gusseted bottom. Follow our instructions below to make your own.
1. Fold the bottom of a bag in on itself. Cut above the lower fold, removing the bag’s bottom. Trim the top into a pointed star shape. Do this again for another 6 bags.
2. Punch a hole a little less than 1cm from the bottom. Do the same with 5 more bags. Next put double-sided tape to the front edges of a bag of approximate 5 cm lengths. You may have to adjust this depending on the size of bag- these measurements are for a 29cm long bag but you can reduce the length slightly by trimming the star point at the end.
3. Peel off the adhesive cover of the tape and place another bag on top. Repeat to stack all of the bags this way and make sure the holes match up on top of each other. (Alternatively, do not punch the hole until all the bags are stacked if you have a hole punch strong enough to do this). Push a length of string through the holes in the stack and tie it loosely in a knot.
4. Pull the top and bottom bags around to form a star shape and join the end points with double-sided tape.
5. Make sure that the string tied to the hole is placed along the centre of the 2 pieces of double sided sticky tape when you attach the top and bottom bags together so that the string which does become the hanging string is fed out and appears at the top of the star point.
6. Hang up your completed paper bag star using the string. You can make lots of stars in different colours then hang them up together for maximum impact and a truly festive feeling!